Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Efficiently create a Loft feature between a point and a surface (in FeatureScript)

timo_schmidtimo_schmid Member Posts: 36 EDU
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to create a loft feature between a surface and a point (in FeatureScript). Thereby, the point is a location in 3d space where no vertex is. For the opLoft feature however, a query is needed as an input which means I need a vertex rather than just a location vector of the point.
As a way around this, I created a cone with its tip at the searched location and deleted it afterwards. However, as I have to do this many times, this decreases the speed of my featureScript.
Does anyone have an idea for a more efficient way to achieve the loft feature? (I also tried making a sketch point instead, but it didn't work and I'm not sure it would be more efficient if it would work)
Thanks for suggestions,
Timo

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited September 2020
    @timo_schmid

The most efficient way to create a point is by just calling opPoint https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#opPoint-Context-Id-map .  Sketch should also work, but has a lot more overhead; most likely culprits of why it would not work would be missing the skSolve call, or getting the query wrong.

Another way to increase efficiency here is to do all the helper body deletions as one opDeleteBodies call at the very end of the feature, instead of one opDeleteBodies call per helper body created.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team