Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Setting up an assignment

Hello,

So I have put my class into a team and I want to assign them an assembly to draw. I have the assembly drawn and would like to allow them to be able to view my drawing but not be able to copy it. I set up a folder and shared that with the team and put my drawing in the folder. Is there a way I can adjust the permission of a drawing in a shared folder? I want them to turn in their drawings in this same folder .

Thank you
Tagged:

Answers

• alexander_visakayalexander_visakay Member Posts: 17 EDU
    Instead of a folder I made it a project and set the team as Engineers. I have my drawing in it and adjusted the share permissions to view for that team. Did I answer my own question? Or since my drawing is in this project and they have edit control of the project that supersedes the share permission I set? 
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    This is a great way to set it up! Enterprise does have a lot of settings to it so here's what you can do to prevent copying but still allow them to add their work.

**I am assuming a lot here so if you could provide a screenshot of your share permission that could help me understand how you have it set up.

You can go into the edit permissions of the Engineers role and explicitly get rid of the ability to Copy and Export.

To do this go to your Enterprise Settings and look for 'Permission schemes'

Look for the Permission Scheme you used for the project (I'm assuming it's Project Default).

From here you can right-click and select 'Manage project roles and permissions'. This will take you to page where you can edit the Engineers permissions.

Right-click on the Engineers role and select 'Edit role permissions'

This is where you can remove/deselect the Copy and Export permissions. Note: you may need to select Advanced in the drop-down as seen in my last screenshot below.

From there hit save and you are good to go! Let me know if you have any questions. This is assuming you have admin access to the enterprise. Let me know how this works out for you!
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Great! So I am the admin and I have adjusted the permission. Just to be sure students can still add their drawing with out the edit control right? or will they have to add their drawing after they are done since actually drawing a drawing is considered editing? I ultimately still want to have all their work in this one project so that I can jump into their drawing easily at any time and for them to be able to view my completed drawing.

Thanks 
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    They still need the edit control. Drawing is an editing action so they would need permission to work/add data to that project. What you are doing with those changes is preventing cheating or stealing others' work.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Instead of a folder I made it a project and set the team as Engineers. I have my drawing in it and adjusted the share permissions to view for that team. Did I answer my own question? Or since my drawing is in this project and they have edit control of the project that supersedes the share permission I set? 
    So then back to this question. By changing the permission of the drawing in a project folder am I making it so that they can view my drawing while still being able to add their own drawing to the project?

This did not work