Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using another Sketch as a guide?

ts_2ts_2 Member Posts: 22
I think I would have an easier time if I could make a new sketch, and have it be able to snap to other sketches (points, lines etc.)  Think of it as using another sketch as a construction line.  Or is this possible somehow?   I can't figure it out.  The only things I can really snap to are the sketch itself, the origin and maybe the axis lines.  Most of the time I think its just origin becomes an active thing to snap a sketch to. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @ts_2 If I understand what you are asking correctly, you can also use previous sketches directly. Onshape turns off automatic snapping, but you can still manually add the constraints. Draw a line and then individually make coincident each end of the line to points in a different sketch for instance...

• ts_2ts_2 Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2015
    I get the Use projection tool.  It would be nice if somehow while making a sketch,  all sketches behind the view are recognized as potential targets to lock onto relative to the active sketch plane. (even if its seams unorthodox) 
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    It's not unorthodox. Features like this help some users and hurt others. Onshape left it out on purpose and I'm pretty sure there is an issue ticket to add this feature as a user selectable option.
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I also think you can use previous sketch directly.Entities in a new sketch environment can be correlated to the entities in the any previous sketch by some constraints or "preject" tool.you also can use lines of another sketch as construction lines directly.for example, make two lines symmetrical abouth the line in another sketch, you can click these three lines first ,and click "symmetric",then it is ok.

• josh_mccullough080josh_mccullough080 Member Posts: 21
    It seems like sometimes I can immediately reference another sketch while drawing, and other times I cannot. IMO this seems like an obvious "on" feature ot me, rather than having to project the other sketch's entities.