Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to Sort Array of Strings?

Oliver_LeungOliver_Leung Member Posts: 2 EDU
I have an array of strings that I would like to lexicographically sort using the sort (entities is array, compareFunction is functionfunction, but I'm not sure how to make the comparator function. As far as I can tell, there isn't a built-in string comparator, and I would very much like to avoid hard-coding an ASCII table :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The easiest way is to make a map, put all the strings as keys in the map, and then iterate over the map -- the strings will come out in order (though this only works if the strings are unique).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Oliver_LeungOliver_Leung Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Got it, thanks Ilya! I'm now realizing that there's a "Community Support" section that I probably should've posted in...
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    FeatureScript is exactly the right section for this type of stuff.  Sometimes Onshape employees will respond and sometimes other community members.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc