Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New feature to share: Scale

monroe_weber_shirkmonroe_weber_shirk Member Posts: 94 EDU
I have been impressed with the excellent help on this forum and now I am sharing a new feature called Scale that I created with that assistance.

I needed to be able to place a scale (think an axis with labels for the ticks) on objects in my drawings. The Scale feature is meant to be a fairly general solution to that problem.
  • Scale can be used on cylinders and planes
  • Scale is hard coded to create labels for linear scales using base 10. It could be easily modified for other bases. 
  • The length of the scale is always in the direction of the x axis as defined by the mate connector in location.
  •  The height of the scale (height of the text and length of the ticks) is in the direction of the y axis  
  •  The z axis is pointing normal to surface
  •  The maximum value of the scale can be any number. If the maximum scale value is not a natural tick label, then the scale is still drawn to be precisely the correct length for the maximum scale value with extra minor ticks at the end of the end of the scale and extra space as needed. Here is a scale with a maximum value of 19.65 in a length of 0.5 meters. 
  • The number of tick labels is set to be a maximum of 11. Set the text size as needed so the text doesn't overlap. GIven that the text can be rotated and that the number of digits is variable I didn’t not attempt to automate the size of the text to not overlap.
  • The text can be rotated and the scale can be rotated independently.

Comments