Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why does addDebugEntities take regen time when the debugged feature's edit dialog is closed?

The addDebugEntities apparently adds about 13 ms to a feature's regen time. That ends up being a lot because I have many calls to this in my part studio. I'm wondering if that is a bug because this code shouldn't be called when the dialog is closed. Is there an alternative way to show a user which objects they have selected without using this debug feature?

From the standard library...
As with debug, highlighted entities are only visible while the debugged feature's edit dialog is open.

Best Answer

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Answer ✓
    Just because we show debug entities when the dialog is open doesn't mean that the code is running any differently.  Internally, because the feature doesn't know if the dialog is open or not, we can open a feature dialog without executing any FeatureScript, just by rolling back.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Answer ✓
    Just because we show debug entities when the dialog is open doesn't mean that the code is running any differently.  Internally, because the feature doesn't know if the dialog is open or not, we can open a feature dialog without executing any FeatureScript, just by rolling back.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc