Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to draw/sweep on a concave surface?

Hi could someone possibly help or direct me where I might find how to model the attached? Specifically the ribs on the concave surface of the body. I reviewed the article on creating a knurl using helix and sweep but can’t get that to work on the concave surface. Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    My approach would look like this:

Example Document
    1. Sketch the main profile.
    2. Revolve the main profile.
    3. Create a plane at the angle that you want your groove. some of those parts have angled grooves.
    4. Create a sketch on that plane for the groove sweep to follow.
    5. Create another plane on the end of the groove path with your groove profile.
    6. Sweep Remove the groove.
    7. Circular Pattern the sweep feature around your part.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • cabel_mcelderrycabel_mcelderry Member Posts: 10
    Thank you!
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The parts on your picture look like they are worm wheels, if it so then simply sweep or revolute some cross section won't give you accurate shape of worm wheel tooth
    Ok I’m still not understanding something. I created the body with a revolve. I added a plane offset 0 to bottom of body, sketched the groove (just used a 2mm circle centre coincident to edge of profile) created another plane offset 0 on top of body, drew same circle. Selected first circle with sweep,  
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Go to the example model with this link Onshape Document, you can double click any of my features to see how they were set up. I have set it to public.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Ok I’m still not understanding something. I created the body with a revolve. I added a plane offset 0 to bottom of body, sketched the groove (just used a 2mm circle centre coincident to edge of profile) created another plane offset 0 on top of body, drew same circle. Selected first circle with sweep,  Then tried to select the sweep path, tried other circle, plane at end of path, face of body, nothing worked, what am i not understanding?
    Got it now I understand! Thank you!