Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Add a section view to a drawing with a break view

I am trying to make a drawing for an extruded part that is over 10 ft long.  It has holes drilled at regular intervals along it's length.  Obviously a part like this required a break view to show the extrusion length and hole locations.  I would like to have the extrusion profile shown with a section view so it can include the holes but when I try to add the section view line to the drawing view with the breaks in it OnShape refuses to allow me to select any feature to anchor the section view.  Is it really impossible to add a section view to a view that has breaks in it?

Answers

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I ran into this as well. Not only do break view not allow you to add a section or detail view, they totally lose any alignment to other views.
  • francois_boulet784francois_boulet784 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Super !
    go for it ...
  • s_nigols_nigol Member Posts: 3
    PeteYodis said:
    We are working to enable breaking a section view.  Keep an eye out soon.  This will not be delivered with an alignment behavior as mentioned.  View alignment needs to be improved to be able to support alignment by their centers and then we can support proper cases for break views.  Beyond that there will be a need to deliver on parent/child break view scenarios where a break is effective across parent and child views and the break lines between them are associative.  All known things that we intend to deliver on.  
    Hi Pete - has there been any movement on supporting break views with section views?  Many of our parts are extrusions or linear components and documenting them without both views in one is proving difficult!
  • Jonathan_SindlerJonathan_Sindler Member Posts: 1
    I second the request for an update on this issue.
  • n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Hi, anything new on this issue?
    I'm drawing cables with custom pinouts, they obviously need some break view. And I need to add section views on the connectors to show pinout.
    Any news or alternatives?
  • n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Note that in the meantime, I have found one alternative, which is not perfect but works-ish for me. I'm sharing it as it can be useful for some people.
    What I do is (remember: my case is a long cable, with two connectors at each extremity) :
    • Place the main view, add the break view
    • Then place a Projected View : at this point, the entire cable with both connectors are shown, which is not good
    • Add a Broken-Out section on the Projected view, you can then use either depth of cut or "Up to entity". In my case, for the connector, "Up to entity" and selecting the connector works great. It look like a section view, but it's not.

I am aware this might not fit everyone's need, but I just thought I'd share it in case this might help.

Cheers,
  • Frederik_FFrederik_F Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Is there any update on this? It really limits the ability to make a proper drawing of parts with large aspect ratios.
  • shaun_watsonshaun_watson Member Posts: 2
    Also running into this issue - has there been any update?
  • tomasz_szwarc457tomasz_szwarc457 Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Hi,
    I need to second that. Ability to add section views and detailed views out of broken views is a MUST HAVE!
  • Alex_OsborneAlex_Osborne Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Requesting an update on this feature
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    Yes, and also other combinations like broken shaded view for example!
  • s_nigols_nigol Member Posts: 3
    @PeteYodis I'm eagerly reading each monthly feature update summary awaiting broken section views.  Is there something preventing deployment of this drawing feature?
  • Artem_ShinkovArtem_Shinkov Member Posts: 2
    I support, please add the ability to break a view and make a section on it.
  • JaredWJaredW Member Posts: 4 PRO
    I'm adding my +1 ping to this thread for the requested improvement.
  • ing_luca_facondiniing_luca_facondini Member Posts: 5 PRO
    +1