Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why are my parts hollow?

glenn_dixonglenn_dixon Member Posts: 4
This is my third or fourth object to design and print in Onshape. Previous objects all printed as expected, meaning they were solid.

Current object is printing nothing but a shell, completely hollow! This was, of course, completely unintentional. Can someone explain how this happened?

Comments

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited May 2021
    Your part looks fine on the Onshape side. It's probably your settings in your slicer. Which slicer are you using, and could you please send a screenshot of what the resulting sliced geometry is looking like?

Edit: slices fine in Cura

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • glenn_dixonglenn_dixon Member Posts: 4
    Your part looks fine on the Onshape side. It's probably your settings in your slicer. Which slicer are you using, and could you please send a screenshot of what the resulting sliced geometry is looking like?

I used MatterControl - I changed nothing regarding infill. Just opened the .gcode in Cura and it matches what printed, so somehow my export from MatterControl to .gcode didn't include all the parts.
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Resin printing?
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU

I used MatterControl - I changed nothing regarding infill. Just opened the .gcode in Cura and it matches what printed, so somehow my export from MatterControl to .gcode didn't include all the parts.
    Hmm, I think that there might be something up with the MatterControl settings or maybe there is a bug in that software. Is there perhaps a "vase mode" "shell only" or "no infill"/0% infill setting that might be enabled? Unfortunately, I don't have experience using that software, so I have not encountered this issue.

Also, if you have access to Cura, I would recommend seeing if you can slice your model in Cura as a workaround if you're still having trouble getting MatterControl working. I hope things turn out well!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com