Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need help asap. Imported design is completely hollow.

santiago_craftersantiago_crafter Member Posts: 5 EDU
Need some help asap. I've imported a design (have in STL/STEP), but it seems to have imported as surfaces, and the entire design is hollow. How do I convert this to something solid/real?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Enclose will turn the regions enclosed by surfaces or planes into a solid part, but it looks like you already have solid parts which are bounded by surfaces. If that is the case, you can use delete parts to get rid of the surfaces, then proceed as expected.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• Options
    Enclose will turn the regions enclosed by surfaces or planes into a solid part, but it looks like you already have solid parts which are bounded by surfaces. If that is the case, you can use delete parts to get rid of the surfaces, then proceed as expected.
    Thanks, Alex! Can't seem to get it done – would you mind if I share the doc with you?
  • Options
    You can if you want, but I would encourage you to take a look at this article first. If you see any parts listed (not surfaces), then you don't actually need to do anything other than deleting the extraneous surfaces. If you only have surfaces, try using the enclose feature, select every surface (you can easily do it via the surfaces list), then see if that returns a valid part. If you do share the document, I would recommend making it public and posting the link here instead of sharing it with me directly.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu

• Options
    You can if you want, but I would encourage you to take a look at this article first. If you see any parts listed (not surfaces), then you don't actually need to do anything other than deleting the extraneous surfaces. If you only have surfaces, try using the enclose feature, select every surface (you can easily do it via the surfaces list), then see if that returns a valid part. If you do share the document, I would recommend making it public and posting the link here instead of sharing it with me directly.
    Thanks Alex – any help is hugely appreciated.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3a697dac4d00e73a10daa8ab/w/07e4794b507463f513a71306/e/9f7eee036982cf662e5b7901
  • Options
    jake_delano19jake_delano19 Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    Try using Thicken or Enclose to solidify the imported surfaces. STL models will not import as solid geometry but STEP files should be solid as long as they were solid in their previous format.
  • Options
    Try using Thicken or Enclose to solidify the imported surfaces. STL models will not import as solid geometry but STEP files should be solid as long as they were solid in their previous format.
    Problem is, I've imported the doc from a fluid dynamics software. It seems the whole car is in surfaces.
  • Options
    It looks like your imported model was poorly modeled, or is in a weird format that Onshape doesn't like. Like @jake_delano said, you shouldn't have surfaces when importing a part which was originally solid. Try importing it as a different file type; if that doesn't work, you might have to piece together it manually, recreating parts based on the imported surfaces.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu