Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Award Winning Custom Feature

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
Photography has always been a fun hobby for me and recently I unearthed an old film camera. Studying light, thinking about how film works, and loving a good FS challenge, I was curious if I could recreate the Polaroid camera in Onshape. At the same time the Onshape team hosted an internal design contest open to all categories. The time pressure was on!

Calculating light in 3D environments is certainly not new. This site has a fantastic write up on how light is calculated on computers and heavily informed the development for this feature:
https://learnopengl.com/Lighting/Basic-Lighting

The basic algorithm for this feature is to cast a ray from the camera into the scene and calculate the intensity of light at the intersection with model geometry. To keep things simple the image is only black and white. Shadows are considered as well as light attenuation (falloff over a distance).

The scene:

The final result:

Also happy to take home first prize in the internal design competition 🙂

Add the feature:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/de0dbdee5fd3fd6810179f54/v/279829d6a0503ecd86a33c2d/e/fb5f3d22261e41f0dcca0ecb

And of course a big thank you to @Jake_Rosenfeld for guidance and code review help!

A second thank you to @AlexPitt for developing ErgoMan which I used as my studio model.
Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments