Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to scale a part?

jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
At one time I saw this feature, but I can't seem to locate it, or find it by searching the help files.

Could someone direct me to instructions on how to scale a part or assembly?

Thank you.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
  • jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Thank you. I did search help, but it appears it was part of the Transform tool I wasn't seeing. Thanks again.
    One other question about Transform. When copying a part, and placing that part into a particular position, is it possible to move the transform tool to a position so it's closer to where you need to be more accurate in the parts placement? It's the tool with the multible arrows and squares.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Hover over the center circle and drag.  It will snap to various options.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    That works normally with the tool that has the up and side arrows, and your moving a 2D sketch. But I'm talking about the tool that has mutible arrows for moving a part that has been extruded.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    ah I see! sorry! That tool shows up for 'Translate by XYZ'  Using the arrow tool is just for approximate placements (with no snap functions). Precise placement is done by entering in the X, Y, and/or Z values.  And you may want to explore the other Transform options; by Mate connector, Line, Distance, etc.

Or if you could explain the use case need perhaps I am missing something.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Building a locomotive by parts. Using CAD drawings to create parts, but once they are pulled up as 3D modeled parts I need to assemble them. So placing frame parts exactly where they go is important. And I have been exploring the use of the mate connector, but I was hoping for an easy fix. I like being able to locate the tool to a point, and then snap it to it's exact location. Maybe a tool improvement request is needed? Thanks for your help Bruce.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @jack_erhart
     Spend the time learning mate connectors it will be well worth it.