Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New FeatureScript - Point Derive

Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
Hello all,
I'm happy to release my latest FeatureScript, Point Derive. Point derive allows users to quickly derive parts into new positions in a part studio in a manner similar to @ilya_baran's Super Derive feature, but also adds powerful Point functionality. When a part is selected to be derived, any mate connectors which are attached to that part are automatically converted into selectable points. This allows the user to easily choose the exact position of the part relative to their selected reference locations.

This also makes it possible to derive parts into position correctly even if they weren't designed relative to the origin:

It's also worth mentioning that the orientation of mate connectors relative to the part is maintained, and that the first mate connector in the feature tree is automatically used as the default point manipulator selection.

It is also possible to create useful wrapper features for Point derive. For example, I've created a wrapper feature for my VEXU team which can be used to bring in 3D printed motor mounts and VEX C channels directly from our team's VEX CAD library. The wrapper feature automatically sets the configuration of C channels based on the length of selected edges and reports an error if it doesn't match correctly, thereby creating behavior similar in nature to the weldments feature (but for bodies with a repeating pattern).

The point derive feature can be found here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ad42d9d1532c5ea87446b1e8/w/2ed67f49f3f015638cdeb398/e/bfe56586fa6ae70539f185a4

My example VEX wrapper feature can be found here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6a4c34c32c5e682a7255943c/w/b0d6114e5fd1de57c398df5f/e/729d68c86586f8f213b69b4b?renderMode=0&uiState=6179827a18ba955d6910a9a5

Thanks, and I hope you find this useful!
CS Student at UT Dallas
Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
Check out my FeatureScripts here:

Comments