Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Use one part as a starting point of various variations?

I have designed a part in Part Studio. That is intended to be used as a semi-finished product for various end products.
Is it possible to use that part dynamically as a "base"?
So far I've seen that I can either create branches or just copy an entire Part Studio.
But what I ideally would want is that if I make a modification to the "base part" it gets changed in all the variations as well.
And ideally I'd want the variations on the various tabs to also be able to use them in one assembly. So in that sense various branches are not very convenient.

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    check out configurations. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    If the changes are too different to be easily captured with changes to dimensions and/or suppressing/resuming features, you could also consider derived parts. 
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Also Derived Part might be the way to go