Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Does OnShape (or plan to) have video tutorials along with there slide deck instructions?

brennan_natolibrennan_natoli Member Posts: 15 EDU
OnShape has very good videos that explain how things work and great slide instructions that walk you through drawings but I don't see many short tutorials on how to build simple, practical things. 
I teach at the high school level and transfering from Fusion360 to OnShape and I havent found many resources on YouTube that provide how to step by step videos. OnShape has great webinars and videos that elxpain how things work but you still have to go through the slide to learn to create the example. 

Does OnShape have videos that walk you through a design?I know the webinars and videos explain and show some but Im looking for videos under 20 min that students can easily understand. Tutorials on drawing things other than mechancial hardware, fastners, pipe fixtures would also be much more appealing to students starting out. 
The step by step slides are great but why not include a video of that as well? 
Are there any tutorials that design things other than hardware, pipes, fastners, and typical mechanical things? 

The learning center is awesome and the easy to manage but would love to see some short step by step video tutorials.  Drawing tutorials that are under 20 min and show how to make products/things that are more appealing to young learners(and myself).

Maybe they exist and I cant find them. 

Thanks
Brennan

Best Answer

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Answer ✓
    Hi! @brennan_natoli

Thank you for the feedback. We're always looking to improve the resources that we have for educators. If you have any project ideas in mind I'll make sure to share them with the Education Curriculum team!

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think its worth taking a look at if you haven't already. We are making an Intro to CAD curriculum for teachers to use in their class, with lessons, step by step instructions, lectures, and assessments. You might be able to pull a couple exercises from it! Check it out here.

There are also some third parties that make videos and post them to sites like YouTube. Here's a link to a post on the forum from another user who has some videos that you might find useful: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16226/free-onshape-projects-with-instruction-sheets-drawings-and-step-by-step-videos-available#latest

Answers

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Answer ✓
    Hi! @brennan_natoli

Thank you for the feedback. We're always looking to improve the resources that we have for educators. If you have any project ideas in mind I'll make sure to share them with the Education Curriculum team!

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think its worth taking a look at if you haven't already. We are making an Intro to CAD curriculum for teachers to use in their class, with lessons, step by step instructions, lectures, and assessments. You might be able to pull a couple exercises from it! Check it out here.

There are also some third parties that make videos and post them to sites like YouTube. Here's a link to a post on the forum from another user who has some videos that you might find useful: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16226/free-onshape-projects-with-instruction-sheets-drawings-and-step-by-step-videos-available#latest
  • Options
    brennan_natolibrennan_natoli Member Posts: 15 EDU
    edited December 2021
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The intro to CAD curriculmn is excellent and my only suggestion is to have a video component that aligns with with the step by step slide decks. I have found that students prefer to have a video that shows the drawing being made.  The slides are great but sometimes there is confusion about how to complete certain things and videos usually clear up the confusion because the can watch the drawing beign done in real time.
    Overall my switch to OnShape has been great and I am excited to use this in my classroom. The user community and resources and resources are easy to use. Great for a school setting!