Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

promising video without app

marc_lachmannmarc_lachmann Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hi there,
this is my first post, so I hope this is the right section.
I noticed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqvT3McioFw&list=PLWwoHnBNZRNBpyKmN9_GW4GSJNAR-4mHs about "Getting Started with FeatureBlocks in Onshape".
Following the instruction I haven't found an app / script that does the trick nor did I find any information on that topic.

Maybe one of you could help me with this, please.

Thanks
Marc

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Interesting. I can't find it anywhere either. It seems like it was pulled for some reason.
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Hi @marc_lachmann,

Our team at PTC Education created this app as a proof of concept of an alternative interface for getting started with Featurescript. This first version was focused on generating 3D geometries as a way of teaching students concepts about math and coding through Blockly. We made that video as part of a closed Beta, but unfortunately have not made much more progress on its development. In its current state, the functionality is quite limited and there are a handful of bugs that we're aware of (and certainly more that we aren't aware of :smile:).

But it would be awesome if you would be willing to test it out and give us some feedback! There's a feedback form in the app, or feel free to share any feedback here in the forum. I will direct message you to get the email address associated with your Onshape account then add you to the team for beta access.

Anyone else interested in testing it out, please let me know!

Thanks,
    Matt
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @matthew_mueller537

It’s interesting that this started as an educational tool. It looks like it had some potential, but wouldn’t it be better if this was focused on making programming easier/better for all users, not just an intro tool?

I really would love to have a graphical, node based programming tool like Rhino’s Grasshopper or Autodesk’s Dynamo with all the power of FeatureScript. 

If you haven’t seen this already, here’s a great collection of visual programming references: https://github.com/ivanreese/visual-programming-codex

• matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @S1mon

Yes we certainly recognize that this can be useful to all users, especially engineers/designers without the coding experience required to write custom features with FeatureScript, but we figured that an intro to math and coding for students/educators was a good place to start. As you can imagine, it is a big undertaking to develop an interface like this, but we are certainly open feedback on what features would make it useful to professional designers. Our code is publicly available on Github (limited documentation and workflows established as of now) if you're interested in looking under the hood.

If you'd like to try it out in the current state, please direct message me the email address associated with your Onshape account and I can add you to the beta team.

Thanks,
    Matt