Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Create part in context and use plane from context

benoit_felixbenoit_felix Member Posts: 9
Bonjour, je souhaite créer une pièce en contexte et m’appuyer sur un plan de référence présent dans une autre pièce. Malheureusement les plans de référence ne sont pas visibles dans l’assemblage.
Je suis sur l’application iPad.

Hello, I want to create a part in context and rely on a reference plane present in another part. Unfortunately the reference planes are not visible in the assembly.
I'm on the iPad app.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Mate connectors are one solution.
  • benoit_felixbenoit_felix Member Posts: 9
    Merci pour votre réponse. Je ne connaissais pas cette fonction. Par contre je voulais parler d’un plan de construction. Pas une surface.

Thank you for your reply. I did not know this function. However, I wanted to talk about a construction plan. Not a surface.

The sketch helps, but I don't fully understand your whole problem. This seems more like something that I would do all in a single part studio. They are made for doing top down design of multiple parts in the same place. "In context" in assemblies is more useful for things which might have more than one position (some sort of mechanism) or for things where you are referencing parts or assemblies which you do not control.
    Je suis d’accord avec vous. J’avais pensé tout concevoir dans l’atelier des pièces mais il va y avoir beaucoup de pièces (plus de 1500)
    Dans ce cas il me manque la possibilité de grouper les pièces (Ou calque ,filtre...) pour faciliter les Afficher/cacher ou pour structurer l’ordre d’assemblage.

I agree with you. I had thought of designing everything in the part studio but there will be a lot of parts (more than 1500)
    In this case I miss the possibility of grouping the parts (or layer, filter...) to make them easier to show / hide or to structure the assembly order.
    Je viens juste de découvrir la fonction Pièce composites qui permet de regrouper les pièces et de les cacher.

I just discovered the Composite Parts function which allows you to group parts together and hide them.
    Your sketch shows 6 "parts". I'm now assuming that these are really subassemblies which break down into more parts. You may want to use layers of part studios. One "top level" part studio which controls where the 6 subassemblies are and their interfaces, and then 1 or more part studios to create the subassemblies. The top level part studio can just have sketches in it, or very simplified versions of the shape of the subassemblies.

Composite parts can be very useful. I tend to think of them for things like double-shot injection molded parts, or weldments, or PCBAs. I'm not sure if that's how you're using them.
    oui, je vous ai dessiné un exemple simplifié. Il s’agit d’une maison à ossature bois.
    je ne connais pas cette notion de "top level" de pièce dans onshape.
    Dans catia je sais faire avec des copier/coller avec lien. Ou dans un assemblage.
    Comment faite vous dans onshape?

merci beaucoup pour vos réponses.

yes, I drew you a simplified example. it is a wooden frame house.
    I do not know this notion of "top level" of part in onshape.
    In catia I can do with copy / paste with link. Or in an assembly.
    How are you doing in onshape?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
  • alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    yes that sounds like what I remember for Part Copy.  You get a body from another part and can add more features to the body.  And if you modify the body in the original part, you are able to update the Derived part to new versions when you want to update.
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com