Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Unable to extrude and remove a sketch through a shape that I have imported

zach_norriszach_norris Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I have recently taken on the task of editing a shape that I have downloaded and imported into this software to test OnShape out. The shape imported fine but has a numerous amount of lines on it and some 3400 surfaces. I don't understand why this is but I have a feeling it is preventing me from removing pieces of the shape. When I make my own shapes, it will extrude and remove perfectly but this imported shape... not so much. Any suggestions? Also the file is a STEP if that means anything to anyone helping out.

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    zach_norris,Presently in Onshape we don't have option "remove" in surface.As your exported parts are in surface so you cant remove them by extrude.You can make them solid using "Thicken" option by giving some thickness.
    Yes that remove option in surface is really important.We hope Onshape will include it in next update..
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @zach_norris , It may be non-planer face or surface where you are doing material addition by extrude operation. If that is not a case then can you make your document public and share link then we get actual scenario of your problem.