Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

FeatureScript parametric surface

jan_allemann654jan_allemann654 Member Posts: 3 PRO
Hi there

Working with FeatureScript Parametric Surface:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57a62df8e4b03de4c9fcf154/w/f6d71f3d862b522902efcd68/e/ece65382fcd820281a9ee704

I'm trying to model a shape derived from the superellipsoid model:

where a, b, c, p0, p1 is known.

So if i express z = f(x,y), i can create the following shape:

for x,y close to the maximum, the function has an imaginary number as a result. Therefore, I can't create the surface in the corner of the final shape:

from what I've seen in the FeatureScript Parametric Surface i can only set the min, max values for x,y.
I believe expressing y as a function of x would do the job to avoid the corner. Is that possible?

Any other approaches? Final shape should look similar to that:

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I believe a spherical coordinate system would fix your issue. Instead of having portions of the X/Y grid that are imaginary, all values of Theta/Phi would yield a value of R. I think. 

Edit: I stand corrected. It's been a while since I looked at this featurescript. Looks like the spherical option is only for the parametric curve featurescript. So in this case you're SOL. Sorry :/
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind doing some extra legwork, this could be accomplished in construction by generating accurate intermediate cross sections using Parametric Curve. The patches could then be filled in via Fill or Loft.
  • jan_allemann654jan_allemann654 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    mahir said:
    If you don't mind doing some extra legwork, this could be accomplished in construction by generating accurate intermediate cross sections using Parametric Curve. The patches could then be filled in via Fill or Loft.
    thanks! yes, i did think about that.
    i think i'll give it a try although not super happy with the fill feature in onshape
  • jan_allemann654jan_allemann654 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    did it with parametric curves. i'd need infinite amount of points per curve to make it theoretically work.
    although there is an analytical solution for intersection points, onshape is interpolating the curve between points. therefore, the curves don't really intersect.