Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Section view measurement

sasutosasuto Member Posts: 2
Hi, I moved to Onshape from Solidworks few months ago. I have one question for measuring in the section view:

If I have two or more parts intersecting each other, is there any way to measure how much they are intersecting? If I try to click the surface of section view it will adjust the view and can not measure anything from there. Any way to do this like in Solidworks? It has been very useful because I work often with soft gaskets or tapes and I have to mate them compressed (= intersect other parts) in the assembly.

-Sasu

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    ishan_durisetiishan_duriseti Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Answer ✓
    This really depends on what you want to measure in your circumstance. As shown in the image below, edges that exist without the section plane intersecting the part (shown in red) can still be selected and measured as you normally would. Unfortunately, you cannot select edges and vertices created by the intersection of the part and section plane (shown in green) currently. Hopefully this answered your question. Maybe make a request for such functionality, I can see how this would be pretty handy.

If you are specifically trying to measure the amount of interference, you can use interference detection to get some limited dimensions of the interfering volume. Look here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/moving.htm?cshid=interference_detection#Interfer

Answers

• Options
    ishan_durisetiishan_duriseti Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Answer ✓
    This really depends on what you want to measure in your circumstance. As shown in the image below, edges that exist without the section plane intersecting the part (shown in red) can still be selected and measured as you normally would. Unfortunately, you cannot select edges and vertices created by the intersection of the part and section plane (shown in green) currently. Hopefully this answered your question. Maybe make a request for such functionality, I can see how this would be pretty handy.

If you are specifically trying to measure the amount of interference, you can use interference detection to get some limited dimensions of the interfering volume. Look here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/moving.htm?cshid=interference_detection#Interfer
  • Options
    sasutosasuto Member Posts: 2
    Yes I would like to measure edges on the section view surface (green line in your picture). Maybe someday it is possible.

I have used this interference detection before but didn't know that dimension is showed when hovering the mouse over the interference section. This will help with some cases, Thank you.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    Another "workaround" that I found helpful is to use the isolate/transparent options: if you "isolate" the gasket, you can pick the face that's "inside" the other part easily and then turn off the isolate to pick the other face. It helps to use the keyboard shortcuts (shift+i and shift+t) as you can enable it without actually selecting something (mouse over and hit the shortcut).