Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Referencing a Configuration Cell Value in Another Cell

Alexandre_WamainAlexandre_Wamain Member, csevp Posts: 16 PRO
I am looking to use a cell value from my configuration table to drive other formulas within my configuration cells [in an assembly]. This would be similar to how formulas in excel our built for instance if I am using a value in A1 cell to calculate a value in B1 ie (B1 = A1 +2). I am not looking to use my #variable input from the upper right-hand corner of the page. 

The goal here is to copy and paste a group of width and heights that determine the 'configuration'. We could then build a mass amount of configurations at once reducing a large amount of workload. 

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Does just copy/pasting your config table into a spreadsheet to edit it and copy/pasting it back not do what you want? I realize it's probably not ideal even if it does the trick. Or do you mean making a value of one configuration input drive a value that's part of another configuration input?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Alexandre_WamainAlexandre_Wamain Member, csevp Posts: 16 PRO
    Copy and pasting the config table into a spreadsheet and making the alterations there does work. As you mentioned it's not ideal as instead of defining a handful of values I now have to define every cell value in the config table. Granted excel is auto-populating most of the data which is cutting down on work. In this scenario, the cell value that would be driving other cell values would be tied to the same configuration. For instance, I am using a cell value for height to determine my cable length. The height could change config to config but the cable length will always be a function of the height.
    I agree it can be cumbersome to have to configure every single input. This may later be made easier once they drop the new Variable Studio implementation (that was previewed at Onshape Live 2022). That should give you a way to access variables in your assembly directly to make, for instance, the length a multiple of the height.
  • Alexandre_WamainAlexandre_Wamain Member, csevp Posts: 16 PRO
    Happy to hear this functionality is on the roadmap! Do you have any idea when this might go live?
    No clue.