Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you keep the watermark for a drawing in a released state?

Lukas_LundLukas_Lund Member Posts: 17 PRO
Currently have multiple end states in our workflow that are for release.

Full release & for quote only.

How do you keep the watermark on the drawings in the released state specifically for the "for quote only" as it would be nice to have that plastered across drawings for sending out to vendors?

Best Answer

• Lukas_LundLukas_Lund Member Posts: 17 PRO
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    I think what I am going to do is add a custom property of a list of the 3 states (Draft, Quote, released) and code into the process automatic updating of the custom property and reference that in the drawings as a manual watermark I lock in the title block .

Answers

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @Lukas_Lund
    What is wrong with the pending state?
    It leaves a bit of ambiguity regarding what type of release it is pending for.
    A regular release or a for quote only.
    A full release would be fully dimensioned with readiness for manufacture. where the for quote only is dimensioned and toleranced enough to send for a quote.
    Both should undergo review but end in different states to denote which it is for.

@Lukas_Lund
    I see.  Out of curiosity, do you have a structuring to your revision labeling that follows the workflow you are describing?
    Either release adds a rev up. but for quote only keeps the watermark on the drawing (is the idea).
    Rev. numbers are cheap so to speak.
    edited December 2022
    @Lukas_Lund
    possibly you could create a custom revision scheme.  For the first entries of the scheme, you could call them what you like.  So for the first step, "DRAFT", the first rev in the scheme would be called "DRAFT".  Then as you work through your work flow and continue create more releases(revisions) of the drawing, the rev scheme would automatically be bumped, labeling the drawing correctly.  Then when you were ready to release the production rev, the scheme would automatically select "A" and continue forward with more usual revision labeling.  if a mistake is made on a drawing and released prematurely, you can use the "make revision releasable" option when manually obsoleting the mistaken release and the corrected release will bump back to the right label.  In this way, the state is still allowed to get set to released and an clear indication the drawing is ready to be used for the purpose defined by the revision label is communicated.
    I think what you would run into then is say you have a part used in 2 different assemblies of different generations. Rev A is still a valid part but may need to be referenced for repairs or maintenance. but as you release Rev B that would need to be in a state of Draft as it is working through the process.

edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    I think what I am going to do is add a custom property of a list of the 3 states (Draft, Quote, released) and code into the process automatic updating of the custom property and reference that in the drawings as a manual watermark I lock in the title block .
    @Lukas_Lund
    I see your point.  I would probably do the same thing you have decided on too, if in your shoes.  I think notes can be instructed to be pushed to the back of a drawing so that other things are written over top of them, which would be basically a custom watermark.  I haven't tested this.