Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

rotate sketch about a centerline?

Ron_van_DijkRon_van_Dijk Member Posts: 13 PRO
I have a sketch that in retrospect was on the wrong plane.
When changing to the proper plane, the sketch was upside down.

So, now I need to flip the sketch about my horizontal centerline, from under the centerline to above the centerline.

Can this be done?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @Ron_van_Dijk, there are a few ways to do this. The most common would be to create a plane via the Plane feature with line angle, then update the Sketch plane to use that plane. However, this doesn't give you much control over the "origin" of the sketch or the orientation of the plane. I recommend using an implicit mate connector from within your sketch so set the origin and the plane of the sketch. 

Tip: Dimension to that implicit mate connector instead of external references. This will allow you to move the sketch wherever you want without breaking dimensions or constraints. To edit the implicit mate connector's position, click the little mate connector icon by the mate connector. 

To rotate the implicit mate connector, click the little mate connector button by the mate connector in the Sketch plane input box. Select "Rotate about X".

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

• Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 65
    Use the Transform feature in Sketch mode. Select what to rotate and rotate the sketch using the Manipulator.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    the example shown is not the rotational direction. Should be around the centerline
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @Ron_van_Dijk, there are a few ways to do this. The most common would be to create a plane via the Plane feature with line angle, then update the Sketch plane to use that plane. However, this doesn't give you much control over the "origin" of the sketch or the orientation of the plane. I recommend using an implicit mate connector from within your sketch so set the origin and the plane of the sketch. 

Tip: Dimension to that implicit mate connector instead of external references. This will allow you to move the sketch wherever you want without breaking dimensions or constraints. To edit the implicit mate connector's position, click the little mate connector icon by the mate connector. 

To rotate the implicit mate connector, click the little mate connector button by the mate connector in the Sketch plane input box. Select "Rotate about X".

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Nice workaround, Thanks