Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible to group several customfeatures in a toolbar dropdown?

roman_jurt190roman_jurt190 Member Posts: 32 EDU
Hi! My custom feature collection is quite large and i'd like to arrange them in dropdown-themes (like: pattern features, 3d-printing helpers...). Onshape standard-features are often sorted in dropdowns - while i can rearrange custom features in the toolbar, i can't create new dropdowns and i can't place them in existing dropdowns... putting them into the shortcut toolbar is no solution either...
and to make things worse: We run EDU ENTERPRISE... and all the nice icons of all the feature scrips do not show...
Has anyone a solution to this? thank you!

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Toolbars will automatically "collapse" as you shrink your window, the ones on the left side will be expanded until it "runs out of room".
    However you cannot currently "permanently" stack features like the standard "thicken/enclose" or "linear/circular/curve" pattern are so the best you can do is group them in a "toolset" and keep the "most important" ones further to the left.

I have found I have so many custom features I've kind of given up find myself using the search function to find them more and more and just browse around my toolbars when I don't remember what one is called!

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    About the only thing you can do at the moment is add a subset of the custom features to your shortcut menu.

Improvements to Onshape - February 3rd, 2023 — Onshape

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited March 2023

I also would like custom feature drop down menus.

Currently this is not possible, but there is an improvement request you can vote for here: 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12610/menu-groups-pull-down-name-icon

I'm not sure how to fix the enterprise custom feature icon issue. I think it's happening because everything is being routed through the custom domain instead of cad.onshape.com. If you go and copy those custom feature documents so that they are in your own domain, then it will show the icons. However, this will break the links to the original author and you wont get feature updates for those custom features.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    It's possible to customize your toolbars and make new "groups" but it's really messy as you need a very wide screen to fit them all in order to properly organize them
  • roman_jurt190roman_jurt190 Member Posts: 32 EDU
    thanks for all your answers! @S1mon: jep - this makes sense for the things we use often... but not for all the 50 FS:) @MichaelPascoe: check! it's logged since 19... let's hope.  and for the Enterprise issue: it's been recognised as a bug... hopefully it can be fixed... @eric_pesty: hmm! when making the browser window super wide, all the FS icons eventually will get lined up and can be shifted around so they make more sense... is this what you mean with "groups" or did i miss something?

thanks for all your answers! @S1mon: jep - this makes sense for the things we use often... but not for all the 50 FS:) @MichaelPascoe: check! it's logged since 19... let's hope.  and for the Enterprise issue: it's been recognised as a bug... hopefully it can be fixed... @eric_pesty: hmm! when making the browser window super wide, all the FS icons eventually will get lined up and can be shifted around so they make more sense... is this what you mean with "groups" or did i miss something?

You can also drag them to create new "groups", here are some examples:

this is exactly what i want! but how did you do it? i can only drag icons (and make new toolsets, far left) but no dropdowns - is there a trick to it? drag one onto another icon or pressing shift or some other key doesn't do a thing...
    edited March 2023
    Right I didn't remember what the trick was but you can only do this when the toolbar is fully "expanded".
    So you need a really wide window (and also reduce the zoom way down), then you can customize and drag buttons, including a "new toolbar" area on the far right.
    This is a comically broken area of the UI in Onshape...

One critical piece of information: make sure you don't move the "add custom feature" button, otherwise newly added custom features won't show up in any toolbars!

Like this:

edited March 2023
    Thanks @eric_pesty! hmm. i tried all kinds of combinations and keys... i just can't group icons to stack like yours :/  and i tried on MacOS/Chrome and Win/Firefox...
    Answer ✓
    Toolbars will automatically "collapse" as you shrink your window, the ones on the left side will be expanded until it "runs out of room".
    However you cannot currently "permanently" stack features like the standard "thicken/enclose" or "linear/circular/curve" pattern are so the best you can do is group them in a "toolset" and keep the "most important" ones further to the left.

I have found I have so many custom features I've kind of given up find myself using the search function to find them more and more and just browse around my toolbars when I don't remember what one is called!