Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to Remove a fillet on an imported part

Hello,

I have imported some parts from elsewhere but want to remove the fillet they've put in place on many of the edges.  Is there an easy/ 'best method' way to do this? 

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I forgot that Modify fillet had a remove option. Does this do anything different from just deleting a face with the heal option?
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Just tried @S1mon. The result seems to look the same.

Time result varies.
    Modify fillet- 3ms/3ms
    Delete face and heal- 7ms/11ms
    Tried again with window select of both parts to see what happens.
    One is imported and the other new. The new fillets on new part seems to be slowest. Hmmm

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Interesting. I did a little more investigation, and there are some differences with more complex fillet arrangements.

This is not at all exhaustive, but here's Modify fillet/Remove:

and here's the same thing with Delete face/Heal - which fails:

Here's a second comparison. Modify fillet/Remove:

and the same selection with Delete face/Heal:

If the "Delete fillet faces" check box is unchecked, this also fails:

This was all done with native Onshape CAD, but it's really interesting the difference in how the two features treat the same selections. Modify fillet/Remove seems to be better suited than remove face in terms of doing sensible things (assuming Onshape recognizes the fillets).
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    I think the modify fillet tool automatically expands the selection to tangent connected faces with the same radius (and the performs a "delete face" in the background).
    You could probably reproduce the behavior using the "create selection" tool and a delete face but might as well use the "correct" tool for the job!
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    The RMB will let select all radii with the same radius as the one you're hovering over.
    Buuuttt. If you want to delete all fillets to keep things simple a window select of all parts can be used when invoking modify fillet to change them all to same or eliminate all at once and will ignore the other selections in the window. That sounds like a time saver.

@robert_newland As you can see, there are many ways to skin a cat.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Digging into the actual code doesn't tell me that much here either since the Modify Fillet feature code just calls @opModifyFillet() which is where it goes behind the curtain to talk to Parasolid. It's not just an opDeleteFace(), but for all I know it's doing the same thing in Parasolid, plus some selection logic. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • robert_newlandrobert_newland Member Posts: 6
    Wow. Thanks all.  I assumed the modify fillet tool only worked on fillets you'd created yourself, but seems they do work on parts you've imported as well. 

Whilst I waited for the question to be approved I worked out a technique where I 'Boolean differenced' away the face and then re 'thickened' it. If that makes sense.
    It was a little laborious and modify fillet is a lot quicker.