Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Change which sketch an entity belongs to?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
Is there a way to reassign an entity to a different sketch? For example if I have an existing sketch entity as an input from some previous sketch feature, can I make those curves belong to a sketch I'm doing in my own feature instead?
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answer

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    Answer ✓
    Not AFAIK. If moving an entity from one sketch to another were possible, that entity's underlying ids would still change and I suspect references would break. This also raises the question of how it should be constrained in the new sketch.

If I need an entity from an earlier sketch, I just "Use" it into the current one.

Answers

• Options
    Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    The only way I can think is to use the pattern copy that I showed the other day.
    Then delete everything besides the entities you want to keep from the copied sketch.
    Then pattern your sketch and what is left that was created by the other sketch at once. It will not likely create one sketch but in the feature tree it will look like one.  
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    Answer ✓
    Not AFAIK. If moving an entity from one sketch to another were possible, that entity's underlying ids would still change and I suspect references would break. This also raises the question of how it should be constrained in the new sketch.

If I need an entity from an earlier sketch, I just "Use" it into the current one.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    _anton said:

"Use" is the thing I actually want to be able to do in Featurescript, but can't. I thought if this worked, it might be a workaround. I've got a feature whose output should be a single sketch, but some of the entities are made by the feature, and some are trimmed copies of pre-existing sketch entities. As I have it now, there are two resulting sketches which means closed shapes don't create a region, and you can't select the chain with "Tangent connected edges".
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl