Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create a Speaker Grate in a cylinder

Hi all! New to Onshape here. I have watched a bunch of tutorials on onshape and have gotten the hang of it.
One thing I am struggling with in a project is adding holes in a pattern into a cylinder. I would like the holes to apply only to two sides of the cylinder, and look like a speaker grate. Terrible at explaining things so here is a picture:

I would like the speaker to become a complete cylinder instead of curved, similar to an Amazon Alexa. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
  • Options
    nick_debaisenick_debaise Member Posts: 3 EDU
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

that looks great! Perfect for what I was looking for. Would you mind walking me through how you did it?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @nick_debaise

I will happily walk you through my steps on this one!  The other thing you can do is copy the document and use the rollback bar to see how each feature builds up the design (and of course double click on the features to go into edit mode and see what their inputs/resulting geometry change is)
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/feature_list.htm?Highlight=rollback bar

1. Sketch two concentric circles on the top plane
    2. Extrude the outer region of the sketch to form the cylinder
    3. Sketch a circle on the front plane halfway up the cylinder
    4. Extrude-remove this cylinder to cut the center speaker hole
    5. Use a linear face pattern (selecting the inner face of the hole as the face to pattern, and the right plane as the pattern direction) to make two copies of the hole to the right of the center hole
    6. Use two circular face patterns (using the original sketch circle as the pattern axis) to create the outer rings of holes. The reason I used two patterns is because I chose to make 6 instances for the inner ring and 10 instances for the outer ring.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team