Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature not mirroring -- cannot figure out why

Working on building a part, and when I mirror a set of features, 3 of the 4 mirror correctly, one does not.  No idea why.
File is https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8b27e4212a73d0fb83c39a6e/w/f84fdad2f8ae50b6708a5c95/e/1ea1e09105c44b0e180a6bab, which is public.
To see the issue, select the "Parachute Deck" part studio, bottom view, and look at the mirror "Avionics Left Side".  It should mirror 4 features, but the feature named "Avionics Side Brace" does not mirror.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @stephen_daniel
    Could you use Part Mirror instead of Feature Mirror ?

see here https://cad.onshape.com/documents/619f2ed403d173f00cb978db/w/071b7abdd2c890d632e89493/e/454b272d95f793190b464a4b
    This would have a better performance as well.
  • stephen_danielstephen_daniel Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Nope.  When I use a part mirror the feature called "lock ring tab", which is a portion of the part being mirrored, does not mirror.  The mirrored part is simply different than the source.  (WTF?)

If part mirror worked, I guess I could use this.  It is not at all my design intent.  The features that I am mirroring are intended to be portions of the same part -- I don't want two parts.  If I had to I could build an assembly and export that for printing but that is far more work than simply mirroring the features.

One of the things I like least about OnShape is its poor error messages.  Something is wrong in my design somewhere, or the mirror would likely work.  I wish it would just tell me, when asked to mirror 4 features and it only mirrors 3, why it didn't mirror the fourth.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited October 2018
    Was it your intention for "Lock ring tab" to be merged into E30 Half Deck ? 

You can edit that feature to produce new body and then the body pattern would work as expected. If you still want these bodies to be merged, use Boolean feature after pattern.

Body mirror/pattern is actually easier to reason about than feature mirror/pattern. Feature mirror can also be made to work  by closing contour in Avionics Side Brace Sketch and adding the sketch to feature mirror.