Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting as an STL

caroline_readcaroline_read Member Posts: 31
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi,
I am making a part to try and send it to my Makerbot Replicator 2x but when I export my files from OS as an STL, Makerbot Desktop isn't able to open the files.  Does anyone know if this is an OS thing or me doing something wrong?
Anyone else have similar experiences? 

The printer does work with a SolidWorks file exported as an STL.  
--> The file I'm trying to use from OS does work if I download it as a Solidworks file then change the file type to STL from Solidworks.  I'd like it if I didn't have to go through Solidworks.

Answers

• Options
    john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    @caroline_read STL output should work fine. If you're ok, please share model with me and I'll check. jmceleney at onshape dot com
  • Options
    @john_mceleney
    I just shared the file over to you.  Thank you!
  • Options
    @caroline_read take a look at the file you shared, I duplicated the tab and made a modification, you should be able to print that STL. Essentially you created an STL of a surface model vs a solid model. I took your sketch, swept it as a solid and then exported to STL.

• Options
    @caroline_read by the way, you can unshare the model from me and I won't have access to it in the future - the beauty of a Full Cloud Solution!
  • Options
    Ok.  Thank you! 
  • Options
    I have another quick question about the export doc, @john_mceleney  
    When I export my document how can I download it to my computer or to makerbot desktop?
  • Options
    @caroline_read  it depends how you have your makerbot set up, but drag and drop the STL file from your browser (or from downloads folder) to an SD card or the network drive attached to your makerbot
  • Options
    The problem I'm encountering, or think I'm encountering, is that I go through the steps to download the STL: right click the part studio tab then press "export to STL", then the box comes up with preferences and such then I press ok then nothing happens--> no download in my download window and nothing on my computer.  
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    edited July 2015
    Which browser are you using? Export STL have a dialog which then leads to a download.
  • Options
    @caroline_read I can't see or don't have access to your Onshape model since you have revoked the sharing rights to me (the benefit of a Full Cloud System). Having said this, watch this video, it should help. 
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/training-working-with-imported-data
    STL out is at the 23:27 mark

• Options
    @rbaek and @john_mceleney  I am using google chrome but as soon as I press "OK" after confirming what type of STL (binary/text, etc.) nothing happens. Thanks for all the help.  It's been super helpful!  
  • Options
    Also, @john_mceleney I re-shared the file to you.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @caroline_read

Check the bottom of your Chromebook screen- a tab should appear which you can click to locate your download
    OR check your "Download" folder under "Files"...

In all probability you've already checked these - I mention them because I don't know how much familiarity you have with Chrome OS.
  • Options
    Yesterday I did all that and nothing happened.  Today though it all suddenly worked.  I think it might be my computer.  not sure what changed but hey it works now. 

Thanks!