Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Line tangent to convex shape

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e977f253699bbbd0b23d3cb/w/fd565f38410e547989e82d43/e/6c3b4625e540d99ed789541c , "Part Studio 1"
On "Sketch 8" I want to draw a line, that would be tangent to the "Surface 1".
But when I select tangent constraint -- the sketch could not be resolved, and also when I change parameters for my model -- the face changes, and the curves that are outermost change and need to be selected again.

Is there a feature/process that would find all lines that are satisfying the condition: tangent to the curve, touch it in two different points, the whole curve is on one side of the line.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @glib_kotelnytskyy - This is a very difficult problem to solve.

In sketch 8, there are an infinite number of lines that can be drawn tangent to the surface.

I am guessing that you are trying to find an infinite line that touches the surface at two and only two points.

Geometric constraints alone cannot determine these two points - there are an infinite number of point-pairs through which a line may be drawn that is tangent to the curve at both points. There are ALSO likely to be MULTIPLE solutions where a line drawn between some of these point-pairs will touch the two points and the two point only.

Again, this problem cannot be solved with geometric constraints alone.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    glib_kotelnytskyyglib_kotelnytskyy Member Posts: 23
    @philip_thomas, generally I would agree that this is way to complex problem.
    But for some reason it works fine on sketch 6