Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I want to help make custom feature icons

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,059 PRO
I've got a ton of custom features in my toolbar, and I'm wanting to clean up the list a bit by making custom icons for my favorite features. I'd like to have the custom feature owners add it to their own code instead of copying them to add my own. That way if the feature creator updates it, I won't be left behind, and also more people can benefit. I have a few questions about that.
  1. how do I find and contact the feature creator? I can look at the history to see a name, but not an Onshape username to message. There's a better way, right?
  2. who has some suggestions for features they'd like to have an icon? No promises I'll get to it, but i might   :smiley:
I've started on ones for these ones I use frequently

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Evan I've been wanting to clean this feature script area up for some time. I'm told that OS is going to deal will this but it's been a long time. 

There's a lot of great feature scripts and half the time I can't find the one I want.

I just loaded mongoDB to my site and itching to manage something. Possibly index all feature scripts created?

I don't have a good answer for you.....

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,059 PRO
    @billy2
    I think the ability to search for them has helped a ton for finding them (remembering them is another story). I'm mostly doing this for myself to have a nicer more usable place to work for my favorite custom features, but figured other people might want to use the icons too.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese
    I happen to own Setback Fillet. If you get me a vector version of the icon (.svg or similar), I'll add it to the FS.
    mahir said:
    @Evan_Reese
    I happen to own Setback Fillet. If you get me a vector version of the icon (.svg or similar), I'll add it to the FS.
    Thanks for making it Mahir. I've missed that option from Solidworks from time to time. I'll send it to you.
    I wasn't able to attach an svg to a message so I added all svgs to this public document. For any creators of these features, please feel free to add these icons to your features. If you don't like my 1st draft icon, just let me know and I'll tweak it within reason.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    You rock Evan!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    billy2 said:
    Evan I've been wanting to clean this feature script area up for some time. I'm told that OS is going to deal will this but it's been a long time. 

There's a lot of great feature scripts and half the time I can't find the one I want.

I just loaded mongoDB to my site and itching to manage something. Possibly index all feature scripts created?

I don't have a good answer for you.....

I have tagged all currently active FS docs in either "FeatureScript samples" (for those created by Onshape) or "Community spotlight" - you will find these under the + Add custom feature button. Once added, you can open the doc from there and take a look at the owner.

Alternatively, @MBartlett21 has a repository here: https://featurescripts.bubbleapps.io/

@Evan_Reese - those icons are awesome, though the thread creator icon makes me feel hungry  :)  

I will add the icons to the Onshape owned ones: Arrow, lighten, fill pattern, snap hook, screw boss

thread creator is owned by @dave_cowden

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    lol Thread Creator does look like a steamy syrupy stack of flapjacks now that I'm looking again. This is why I need more eyes on them
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added measure value icon, though I would prefer it to have less small details :). Thanks for taking care, I would never did something like this myself
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    edited December 2019
    I tried, but my attempts at using inkscape looked like crap. Morgan ended up re-making a couple of mine :)

These all look nice. 
    edited December 2019
    Thanks, John. I'm a designer, but not the graphic kind. I'm not used to how little detail you can actually see on these things once they're tiny.
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov I took a stab at making it simpler and less detailed. not sure if it's better or worse yet, but it's here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6937aa461119700a3a978600/w/f1f511a82f3d77b5da906f3b/e/1c61f20261c9b698d944f0fb
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks, now it's more consistent
    and a few more.

Thanks, Neil. Hopefully, you automated that. Is there a specific pixel dimension that's ideal for the png? I see the box joint is 181x181. I can set up my file to automatically export a scaled png and an svg in the future all in one go for the others to save some work.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    For the amount of files, I just did it manually. The PNG size doesn't matter, but I guestimated it based on the size of the image displayed in the docs page. No point in having a huge image if it's not needed. Adding the space around the image was the most necessary step, otherwise the images touch when listed (as in the image above).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    ok, I can just use 20% more border and scale to 20% when I get around to it. Thanks for letting me know.
  • mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    I believe Fix PCB is owned by @Jake_Rosenfeld
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2020

I've installed mongo on my website. 

Currently I have it saving word processor documents created with quill. This nodejs module makes web content easy to create and control. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with a humongous database structure and looking for something to store & retrieve. One of my favorite things about mongo is that you can save a boolean and then retrieve a boolean. Is that revolutionary? I'm also saving image data without base64 encoding and my document type is html which is universal and making the document extremely portable.

Marty do you have to update bubble with the newly added feature scripts?

Screen shot of quill running at rustyshed.com:

edited January 2020
    to @NeilCooke and anyone else interested, I just uploaded a png for each icon with 20% breathing room around it here. I batched it and quickly reviewed it, so let me know if something looks off from the conversion that I didn't catch. You can add it to your feature doc, right-click the tab and set as the thumbnail image if you care about that kind of thing. It can help people find your feature in the sea of public documents.

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,172
    Thanks @Evan_Reese
    I added your icons to lighten and superderive.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Thanks @Evan_Reese
    I added your icons to lighten and superderive.

Thanks, Ilya
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    edited January 2020
    @ilya_baran can you or someone else put a link for Super Derive? I would really like to try that featurescript out, but I can't find it.

Edit: I found it
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfef86ed4f9635531599a973/v/5ee89fa6e9c437289bbc6f07/e/c7a140a9163a5516f24fcddf

Thanks, Michael
  • otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    did a few more last night. What else should I add?

god they are gorgeous! bravo evan!!!! 
    @Otaola_Franco
    Thanks! 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited January 2020
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    thanks!