Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Projecting sketch onto spherical surface?

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
We can project---or wrap---sketches onto cylindrical surfaces, but can we do it onto spherical surfaces? My guess is no, but has anyone done it in Onshape?

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is what type of projection you expect, there are many of them, but each has specific distortions. You can find my Project feature in community spotlight section. It produses closest point projection.
  • Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Thanks, Konstantin. Which type of projection is a later question. Right now, all I need to know is can we do any type of spherical projection? Are there examples on the web? I'll have plenty of time to sort through projection types and their artifacts later---if the answer to my first question turns out to be "yes" :)
    Do you have a link to your feature?
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm from mobile, so can't link feature studio directly. Look for Project fs in this document