Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

touchscreen support for surface pro 7

tristan_ceddia779tristan_ceddia779 Member Posts: 7
edited August 2020 in Community Support
Am I missing something? How is there no touchscreen support for Windows 10 devices like the Surface Pro 7? Can this be achieved? I can see posts back in 2015 asking for this capability and yet nothing seems to have happened. I use Onshape as part of my workflow for CNC and 3D printing, but not being able to use my brand new 2 in 1 with a pen or even my fingers is crazy for 2020. Whats going on with this?

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    This is something I've been looking for too. I think I remember seeing someone from Onshape saying that there were technical hurdles associated with picking up the touchscreen inputs from inside a browser. It seems like that generally isn't a problem, because browsers pick up touch/stylus inputs well (even for drawing/writing to some degree) - but maybe there's something specific about Onshape's tech stack? 

I still find myself accidentally trying to touch the model to rotate, pan, or zoom sometimes. It would be so much easier than a trackpad when on the road. 
  • Options
    tristan_ceddia779tristan_ceddia779 Member Posts: 7
    Hey Tim! Yeah on the run its hard to use without the touchscreen functionality. Even simple touch like trying to change views for models in a drawing can't be done on a surface pro 7 using the browser without a keyboard and mouse. Very strange that this is not something they have worked on considering the fact they have put so much into cloud based CAD design and mobile apps. Anyway, hopefully they come across these threads and choose to look into really getting touchscreen devices work well with their software for people who have tablets or 2 in 1 PC's that can be used while on the road