Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

create flat drawing of a part with compound curves?

mike_lmike_l Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi all,
How would I go about creating a flat pattern of a part with compound curves?
Picture needing to "unwrap" a bent (curved) part to get a flat pattern to be cut out of sheet stock on a laser table.
Like flattening out the skin of an apple...
Any Ideas?  This would be similar to "uv unwrapping in blender".
Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Onshape's sheet metal system is currently limited to bends and other profiles with a consistent cross-section. An integrated flattening tool is ExactFlat, but it is pricy after the free trial. I've heard that Blender's UV unwrap tools are actually sometimes used to flatten CAD models for laser cutting. What project are you working on? Perhaps there is another tool that could help with this portion of the modeling depending on your application.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev