Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Question on Tech Tip: Buidling a Sprocket

If there is a better place to ask beginner questions, please let me know. I'm working on the sprocket and have made it through to 7:55 on the video where you extrude the build to make the gear part of the sprocket. When I extrude, the preview is in red (reddish brown?). I click on the check mark to complete the extrude and nothing happens. Everything looks right otherwise. All I can figure is that maybe I made an error in the layout, but the repeat pattern function for the sprocket worked and is a continuous line. I constrained the center of the pattern to the origin as instructed. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Hi @richard_alexander

I made the tutorial.  Share your document with me and I can take a look.  dhenry@onshape.com.  

Thanks
    Darren

• Options
    richard_alexanderrichard_alexander Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your responses.  It's odd how I got past the problem. After reading Andrew's comment, I logged in on my iPad to look at the part. The error stated it was a problem with the boolean computation.  I redid the extrude command and it worked! Nothing else was changed. I later returned to my desktop and supressed the extrude to try it again to see if the error came back up. The extrude worked fine this time.  

Darren, I'll go ahead and share it with you in case you want to take a look at it. (I haven't done the clean-up yet.)  Thanks again for the help. 
  • Options
    Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Hi.  the model looks great, but you need to make the pitch diameter circle construction geometry in your sketch.  
      Anyway - Glad you tried the tutorial.  Love how we could work on the same model with no copies.  

Darren