Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Solidworks design tree

kevin_perrykevin_perry Member Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hello everyone!

Is it possible to import a solidworks model along with it's design tree?

Thank You,
  Kevin

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    No, and I haven't heard any discussion of doing that.
  • Options
    mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    Hi Kevin.  Rather than using the feature tree from SolidWorks, you can edit any format that Onshape will open with our direct edit toolset:  “Direct Editing” https://youtu.be/Sqt0IV32YLo.  Give it a shot after checkout out this video.  Thanks...
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hello everyone!

Is it possible to import a solidworks model along with it's design tree?

Thank You,
      Kevin
    No it is not possible.  SolidWorks has many different features than what Onshape has and as a result there is no mapping between them.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @mlaflechecad
    Good video but as a learning tool...poor........ as I have said before you need to slow down actions a lot! I paused and went back about twenty times on this clip. This video should have taken three times as long to be any use for me.
  • Options
    mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    Hi, @peter_hall.  I agree, that video is just an appetizer.  Here is our full length training class on how to utilize imported data and edit it: https://youtu.be/S8NTzi1IgL4.  @jakeramsley is correct, there is no one-to-one mapping for features, but the direct edit tools make it an option to change designs when needed.

Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Options
    kevin_perrykevin_perry Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for all of the responses.  :)