Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to extrude curved surface? I cant sketch on it but I need to

jackson_mastersonjackson_masterson Member Posts: 2 EDU
edited December 2020 in Community Support
Hello,

I am still very new to Onshape am trying to design my dashboard for my car and need to extrude a hole in this shape. I was able to fill and thicken this, but I still cant sketch on it. Is there any way to fix this? All help would be greatly appreciated.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7b94e829c9ccbe4b9961f371/w/31bea87532b70da8845a2146/e/a9f8ec90d1aa7c0e8621ed16

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    To extrude a hole into that shape, you need to:
    • Create a sketch with a circle on a plane. This plane needs to be facing the direction that you want the hole to be.
    • Extrude Remove the sketch with the circle.
    There are other more complicated ways to make holes and cut out shapes depending on what you need to do.

If you need the cut out shape to wrap along the surface do this:
    • Create a sketch with the shape that you want on a plane. This plane needs to be above your part.
    • Extrude Remove the sketch Up To the face of your part. While in the extrude menu, press the offset button to offset the extrude into your shape.
    If you are trying to remove the shape of that part from another part, use the Boolean feature.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎