Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I rotate a sketch about the Z axis?

kevin_lawsonkevin_lawson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am sure I have missed this somewhere in the forums. I am trying to do a simple procedure, Rotate a sketch about the Z axis. Example,  Full sketch in Right view; I would like to rotate it 90 degs to see full sketch in Front view. 

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2021
    Right click or double click the sketch from the feature tree. Select a new plane for the sketch. If the sketch was constrained to the origin, it will still be constrained. If the sketch was dimensioned to other objects, you may need to re-dimension parts of it.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    kevin_lawsonkevin_lawson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Michael, Thank you very much for your speedy reply! I am just trying to to rotate parts of a sketch, not the entire sketch. But, Im sure I can separate each part of sketch unto its own sketch and rotate that way. Thank you very much, that did in fact answer my question almost completely.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2021
    To rotate sketch entities within a sketch, select the entities you want to rotate then click the transform button. Once you are done with the rotation, left click an empty area to complete the transform. It is important to note that the sketch Transform is a different feature than the part Transform. Sketch features will only pop up once you are inside the sketch editor.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Michael, Thank you very much for your speedy reply! I am just trying to to rotate parts of a sketch, not the entire sketch. But, Im sure I can separate each part of sketch unto its own sketch and rotate that way. Thank you very much, that did in fact answer my question almost completely.
    If it's just part of the sketch you want to move, then I recommend copy/pasting the entities you want to move into a new sketch on the desired plane, then going back and removing them from the old sketch.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl