Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

dimensions during creation instead of separate entry using dimensioning function

chip_chandlerchip_chandler Member Posts: 2
edited February 2021 in Community Support
I'm a total (old dude) newb - and this should be dead simple!  When I try to create an object (center point rectangle for instance) the Youtube vids show that the dims can be entered directly on the screen as the object is being drawn by double clicking the dim that appears and typing in the desired number.  I can only get an object sized by making a random or near size shape, then clicking dimension icon then the object, then the number etc.  Is there a setting I need to reset, or is it only possible by using the dimension function?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @chip_chandler
    Welcome to Onshape and the forum!

Sounds like you are using too many clicks - gotta save those guys!  jk  :smile:

When you make the center rectangle - single click once to place center, no button drag to approx. size, single click at approx. size corner,  then DO NOT CLICK again, the first dimension will show in a white box DO NOT CLICK, just use number keys to enter a number and ht 'enter' key, then the other dimension will be in white box DO NOT CLICK, just enter number and the rectangle is complete.  Finally need to constrain its position if not done already and it will turn black GOOD. 

Whew! you will do this faster than read it!    

www.accuratepattern.com