Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Totally removing a drawing from existance

jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
Is there a way to totally remove a drawing from existence?  I had created a drawing with the wrong drawing number.  Now I have to create a new drawing that is supposed to use the Fat Fingered part number.   Yes, it would be simple enough to use the next part number in line but that would still leave the totally incorrect drawing out there to be discovered and used someday.  Either way, it will be best to wipe the fat-fingered drawing out of existence.   Any clues?
Tagged:

Answers

• Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    edited May 2021
    Nuke it from space  It's the only way to be sure!

Doesn't a right click on the drawing tab and delete do the job?
  • jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    I tried to nuke it from space but I missed it.  Now I cannot find my dog.

Delete appears to work but when I go to reuse that part number, it forces me to start at a higher revision.  Something is remembered in the bowels of the no file database.   For now, I have just accepted the higher revision so life can go on...  :)
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using release management? Is the drawing set as released some other way? Onshape normally enforces uniques of PN+Revision, as you've discovered. 

There is now a setting that will allow you to re-release an existing part number, but you have to specifically obsolete the original, and make sure you check a box to allow re-release of the PN. 

Details here: Improvements to Onshape - August 25th 2020 — Onshape

See the "Obsoleteing parts" section here: Viewing History and Obsoleting Parts (onshape.com)