Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

More informative error messages?

When entering a formula, it would be very helpful to have more informative error messages, including e.g.:
  • "Units mismatch, expected length found mm^3"
  • For an invalid parameter, *WHICH* parameter is invalid?  First one that's invalid, anyway.
  • "<variableName> out of range, expect 0..100000mm was -3.2mm"

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    I think you would have to create an improvement request to get anywhere with this.  My default workflow in this area is to enter in my equation really fast into the editor and then cross my fingers and push enter.  80% of the time it does not work.  I then copy the text, paste into note pad where it is easier to examine what is happening.  If I have a particularly elaborate equation, I will sometimes break it down in note pad with a nested type format which sometimes makes it easier to spot a misplace brace.  The editor window is ridiculously small considering the level of complexity that is possible with equations.  The box is like 7 characters long.  barely enough to fit 20 / 3.