Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

WebGL problem

jean_marc_thébergejean_marc_théberge Member Posts: 7 EDU
edited November 2021 in Community Support
Last week I updated to Catalina 10.15.7 (MacBook Pro). Before, everything worked fine. Now, I cannot open any Onshape files with any browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox). I did try to fix the problem without success (Chrome settings or chrome flags). Any idea what's wrong with my computer?

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    What does https://cad.onshape.com/check report?

Additionally, what does the failure look like? Is it not logging in, not loading the documents page, infinite spinner when you try to open the model, something else?
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Report looks fine... all green check marks. Should I look for something special?

When I try to open a file, this message appears on top of the screen : WebGL not active on your browser, and the loading spacework spinning ring keeps on turning.
  • Options
    Could you please post a screenshot of the whole report? You may need to zoom out a bit to capture the whole thing. One issue I've had is that GL renderer is an emulated/software version rather than the actual GPU.

It's weird that the check passes but a document doesn't load.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    It looks like you need to enable GPU support in Chrome. I had this same issue early on.

See https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/webgl.htm

• Options
    Thanks for your help but like I said before, I did all that already and it didn't solve my problem.
  • Options
    @jean_marc_théberge I am out of ideas. The check all looks good so Onshape really should load.

The last thing I can think of is to try opening Onshape in an incognito/private window making sure all extensions are disabled (including AdBlock).

If that doesn't work, I recommend reporting a bug from the documents page:

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
     I found the same issue on my Ipad trying to open documents in a browser. I’m wondering if it is something apple changed in their software. It worked till I updated to OS 15.1. On my Ipad the app still works fine. 
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @jean_marc_théberge

I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff, but I'll throw this out there

This is an attempt from Safari

From within Safari Preferences, make sure you have DEVELOP menu item turned on
    Then once you do, go to Experimental Features and see if you have WebGL turned on

ANOTHER THING TO TRY
    From Safari - CLEAR HISTORY, and then from Develop Menu - EMPTY CACHES

Sorry for the huge screen captures
    I've got to try and figure out how to make these things smaller

• Options
    edited November 2021
    @jean_marc_théberge

Here’s another thing to try

Years ago when we use to have problems with our Mac’s, we use to reset the PRAM

Here is a recent video on that type of thing
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help. I reseted the PRAM like it showed in the video. Negative. If you can think of something else, please let me know.
  • Options
    @jean_marc_théberge

i’ve got two or three more ideas but you’re gonna have to give me awhile. Just check back periodically — i’m tied up doing something so …

• Options
    edited November 2021
    @jean_marc_théberge

OK so lately the dialog boxes in Safari have been working funny. For one thing I can’t open up the pulldown menus in some of those dialog boxes

But today I happened on a temporary fix. Temporary

And here’s a GIF showing what I did

Notice that at the start of the GIF, I try to get access to that pulldown menu in the Extrude dialog, but the dialog box won’t let me

So what I did was I went down to the tab for the part studio and used —— Open in new browser tab. And in my case, as you see in this 1st GIF, doing this appears to make things work the way they should.  But, in my case the fix is only temporary

So what does this have to do with your problem ?

Well, you could use that same — Open in new browser tab (command) when you first start up Onshape. Who knows, maybe if it does work, maybe your fix will stick and not be a temporary fix

Watch this 2nd GIF

So here’s what I suggest you  try

Restart your computer

Then start up Safari

Clear the history

Under Develop menu, Empty Caches

Then use Safari to sign into Onshape

Then the VERY FIRST thing you should do is use — Open in new browser tab, on one of your documents, as shown in the 2nd GIF

See if you could at least open a document using this method

If this doesn’t work, I have one other thing I could think of at the moment. But let me know if this works first

• Options
    Indeed
  • Options
    jon_halljon_hall Member Posts: 2 EDU
    edited December 2021
    The Apple Software update which came out today fixes the issue for me.
  • Options
    Same for me. Case closed!