Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you engrave a pencil into a solid circle

I'm trying to make a keychain for my teacher and I wanted to put a pencil on it and I don't know how to.

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    @brooklynn_perkins

Here’s something along the line of a pocket clip for a pen or pencil. Only in this case, the hole would be for a ring that could attach to a keychain

The thinner clip would be something you would do in spring steel. A material that springs back.

The thicker clip you might be able to 3-D print in something like nylon. Hoping that nylon would be something that would have a little bit of a spring to it and would be durable enough to not crack when slipping it over the end of a pencil

Those that do a lot of 3-D printing ——hopefully they could suggest what type of material would possibly work

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    @brooklynn_perkins

If you’re going to 3-D print, here is a more durable design

The inside of the tube has a draft angle on it. It’s tapered. It’s wider at the bottom than it is at the top

So the further you shove that pencil into the bottom of the tube — the more the pencil will stick