Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotate an imported drawing

Craig_ComberbachCraig_Comberbach Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I have imported a drawing from AutoCAD and I'm trying to create a 3D model out of it. However, I can't get the side view to be the rotated correctly. It stubbornly refuses to rotate.

My current solution is to over specify the relationship of every point to every other point then set one of the lines to have a horizontal constraint. On a small scale sketch this worked fine, but I'll need to put in significant work for my actual drawing.

Does anyone have any better ideas? It will be really difficult for me to get the original drawing modified.

Answers

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
     At this point of time tool for rotating the sketch entities is not available, so as a workaround we can pattern the sketch by circular pattern, convert original sketch entities into construction line as shown below

If the sketch is too much complex to identify after pattern we can avoid the sketch pattern and use another method of transforming the 3D model to rotate it at some angle as shown below.

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @Craig_Comberbach , Currently transform option is not available in Onshape sketch. User can solve this issue by below work-around. Also refer below video for more clarification.
    • Copy sketch entity
    • Give constrain as user requirement along with angle
    • Delete previous sketch entity
    Generally user has to try to do Part transformation because it is easy to perform.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great tip, @shashank_aarya

With your permission, I will add a link (to your tip) to a pre-existing post which lists powerful workarounds
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    That's a great tip, @shashank_aarya

With your permission, I will add a link (to your tip) to a pre-existing post which lists powerful workarounds
    Sure you can add. Thanks a lot!