Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

construction method

adrian_10adrian_10 Member Posts: 10
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi,

you guys were amazing last time helping a total cad beginner with the basics. im no on project number 2 which is actually a continuation of the original project.

before I was making a motor mount, I have now extended this to the entire model.

People have shown some interest in making the models themselves. I have managed to make some drawings for people to work from but I want to modify how the pod that holds all the radio gear goes together, currently its a bunch of separate bits that get glued together.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35f4abaacc9447e4ac0b964f/w/d87c1fca6f6c4d65bc900910/e/a458ac5b307c42e59dd2a3ff

what I am after is doing it as one piece, this will be stronger and easier to make as well as providing a nice hinge for the hatch. it should all be a lot tidier.

if you watch around the 1min mark of this video below you can see that he cuts segments out of the foam board then folds it in on itself. I want to use this exact technique on my model but not sure how to make that in onshape so that it generates an accurate drawing of the unassembled piece flat piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=R2hjmvyRFwU

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance

Ade

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ adrian_10, I think URL for the video you mentioned in missing.
    Links provided you are same.

• Options
    oops, edited
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ adrian_10 , As you presently sheet metal module not available in Onshape. The option required for this is 'Flatten" which is available in sheet metal.Once Onshape introduce sheet metal module then we can expect this option.
    I think at present you can use transform option to archive the result.

• Options
    thanks for your help, sorted. thanks! 

bit of a faff tho :/