Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to flip sketch entities?

skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
The "transform" tool lets you translate or rotate sketch entities, but I don't see a way to flip them. Is there an easy way to do this?

(The "mirror" tool does something different. It's for duplicating sketch entities and creating constraints between them and the originals. I mirror the entities and delete the originals, but I'd lose the original constraints.)
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Can be accomplished by not deleting original sketch entities. Mirror and change originals to construction.

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Another option is to use a Mate Connector as your sketch plane. Then you can redefine the Mate Connector by changing its orientation (change z direction, x/y position etc). The sketch entities will take the Mate Connector as their local origin and will change position accordingly.

The other thing you can do (though you have less control over rotational position) if you used a regular plane for your sketch: change the normal direction of the plane in the dialog for the plane creation. That will flip the Z direction of the plane - and any sketch entities will flip also. Depending on how you constrained and dimensioned the sketch, you may have to fix some things up.
  • Options
    bård_olsenbård_olsen Member Posts: 17
    I found the easiest way to achieve this was to make a copy of the original group of sketches , make a line between them, and mirror on the line, it created a new group of entities on the opposite side, flipped and rotated horizontally and vertically.  At least it solved the problem for me.
  • Options
    josh_mccullough080josh_mccullough080 Member Posts: 21
    I found the easiest way to achieve this was to make a copy of the original group of sketches , make a line between them, and mirror on the line, it created a new group of entities on the opposite side, flipped and rotated horizontally and vertically.  At least it solved the problem for me.
    Unfortunately this doesn't seem to "copy" the original constraints.