Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Share a project that has multiple documents to allow editing - but not to original documents

POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
Hi,
I have a large project that I would like to share with a 3d Party, so that they can make edits to the native Onshape parts & assemblies.. I don't want to allow them edit my parts though.
The project calls multiple documents what is the most straightforward way of sharing?

Thanks
Paul O'Connor

Best Answer

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,411 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, if you branch documents, they would need to confine their work to the branch. You could derive parts into new documents and share those only, but then they wouldn’t have access to the full history. You also couldn’t merge their work the same way. 

To some degree you’ll need to trust your 3rd party. Keep in mind that every little edit is captured in micro versions which you can revert if necessary. If you just share the documents and give them guidance, the worst that would happen is you’d need revert stuff they did by mistake.

Answers

• Options
    Seems like a good opportunity for branching. 
  • Options
    POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
    S1mon said:
    Seems like a good opportunity for branching. 
    Thank you for the response - I've looked at branching and it seems to me that it will depend on the 3rd party regulating themselves to work/modify only within the branch ? i.e. they will have access to allow editing in the version too?
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Yes, if you branch documents, they would need to confine their work to the branch. You could derive parts into new documents and share those only, but then they wouldn’t have access to the full history. You also couldn’t merge their work the same way. 

To some degree you’ll need to trust your 3rd party. Keep in mind that every little edit is captured in micro versions which you can revert if necessary. If you just share the documents and give them guidance, the worst that would happen is you’d need revert stuff they did by mistake.