Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why Is my Boolean Subtract not working correctly (spur gear tool)

charles_kittler589charles_kittler589 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2022 in Community Support
As the title says, when I use a spur gear as a tool to make an internal gear the internal teeth are not correct, (there are two internal gears in the part studio but only one is having this error)
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9c536db8a82af768fcde234e/w/2f223597ac799a0b8d1bc759/e/d0b6fb91288faa434cb2bf15
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @charles_kittler589
     Your Boolean is working correctly, the outer ring gear is not created correctly. The gear where you are seeing issues is created with a strait tooth profile. I am going to guess that when you were selecting areas for your extrude you clicked on the face of the 90 tooth gear which would create the strait tooth profile. Try turning off that gear and selecting the faces of the sketch which if I understand your design was the intent. 

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @charles_kittler589
     Your Boolean is working correctly, the outer ring gear is not created correctly. The gear where you are seeing issues is created with a strait tooth profile. I am going to guess that when you were selecting areas for your extrude you clicked on the face of the 90 tooth gear which would create the strait tooth profile. Try turning off that gear and selecting the faces of the sketch which if I understand your design was the intent.