Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem Inserting Standard Content screw

I am going through the Intro to CAD course offered on the Onshape website with my students.  On Activity 2.4, the lesson calls for inserting a screw from the Standard Content tab into a skateboard to fasten the truck baseplate to the deck. The tutorial video suggests placing the screw over the hole until the mate connector appears, and then pressing "Shift" to position the screw at the proper countersink level.  When I try to do that, the screw doesn't actually go into the hole in the proper position.  In fact, it is not even in the proper plane.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Hi @todd_boschman

Pressing "Shift" when positioning the screw keeps all of the inferenced mate connector points (The dots above the cursor in the image you shared) active. You then have to move your mouse over the correct point for the proper position.

Another tip is that before you place the screw, you can use the "A" key to flip the orientation of the part. 

If you are still having issues, a screen recording or image will make it easier to provide advice!
  • Options
    fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    „a“ for Axis, „q“ for Quadrant
  • Options
    todd_boschmantodd_boschman Member Posts: 8
    Thank you.   I was trying to take a snapshot of my screen but couldn't do that and get the image to show my problem at the same time.  I will try what you suggested and, if I still have issues, will send a screen recording.  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
  • Options
    Thank you.   I was trying to take a snapshot of my screen but couldn't do that and get the image to show my problem at the same time.  I will try what you suggested and, if I still have issues, will send a screen recording.  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
  • Options
    Here's a screen recording of the issue I am having:

https://watch.screencastify.com/v/XqDp8Zardf3YfJDKVr0d