Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create Details i.e. "Detail A" - magnified portion of a drawing

colin_dalycolin_daly OS Professional Posts: 37 ✭✭
How can I create a magnified detail within a drawing?  

Best Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @colin_daly You could work around this (somewhat laboriously) 

If I badly needed a detail view under current circumstances, I would isolate a copy of that portion of the part in the Part Studio, then create a view of that new part, at a larger scale, in the drawing (on the same sheet).

One way to do this would be to draw a closed sketch the shape of the desired boundary of the detail view (traditionally a circle), use "Transform" to make a "Copy in Place" of the parent part, then extrude the boundary through the copied part only, selecting the "intersection" option (equivalent to "Flip Side to Cut" in Solidworks) 

Optionally, before using it for the detail view,  you could derive the resulting part into a new Part Studio, and hide it in the original one.

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @colin_daly You could work around this (somewhat laboriously) 

If I badly needed a detail view under current circumstances, I would isolate a copy of that portion of the part in the Part Studio, then create a view of that new part, at a larger scale, in the drawing (on the same sheet).

One way to do this would be to draw a closed sketch the shape of the desired boundary of the detail view (traditionally a circle), use "Transform" to make a "Copy in Place" of the parent part, then extrude the boundary through the copied part only, selecting the "intersection" option (equivalent to "Flip Side to Cut" in Solidworks) 

Optionally, before using it for the detail view,  you could derive the resulting part into a new Part Studio, and hide it in the original one.